Dr. S. M. Allison
Dr. C. Balfour
- Bachelor of Science – majoring in Zoology and Comparative Physiology. University of Cape Town 1971
- Bachelor of Medicine and Batchelor of Surgery (Medical Degree) – University of Cape Town 1976
- Member of the Faculty of General Practice (Specialty qualification in Family Medicine) – College of Medicine of South Africa 1981
This was followed by 16 years in Family Practice in South Africa, while pursuing an interest in acute medicine. In 1997 I spent a six-month sabbatical in Cambridge (England), where I did The Certificate of Equivalent Experience in Family Medicine (Royal College of General Practitioners), and the Diploma in the Faculty of Family Planning (Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists). From that time, I worked and trained in Emergency Departments in Cape Town and the UK, while doing all the Advanced Life Support courses, and the Diploma in Primary Emergency Care (College of Medicine of South Africa) 2001.
Fellow of the College of Emergency Medicine – College of Medicine of South Africa. 2004.
I was Head of the department of emergency medicine at the University of Cape Town from 2001 until 2006.
In October 2006, after a visit to Vancouver Island, we decided to immigrate to Canada, and began the process. I started at the Medical Arts Centre in May 2007.
Dr. Marcus Barron
Dr. B. Calvin
- Bachelor of Science University of Victoria
- Medical Degree from UBC
- Rotating Internship through Dalhousie University
- Certificant of The Canadian College of Family Practitioners
- Extra training in Palliative Medicine through the University of Toronto
- Started doing ER and General Practice locums in Prince Edward Island and Williams Lake before settling in Nanaimo in 1992
E. Clark - Nurse Practitioner
My role as nurse practitioner allows me to see patients independently, order labs and radiology, write prescriptions and make referrals to specialists or other GPs if needed. I have been at Medical Arts Centre since 2007.
I have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of Saskatchewan, a Masters of Nursing, Athabasca University, Alberta and am Registered as a practicing Nurse Practitioner, family stream with the CRNBC (College of registered nurses of BC).
Dr. C. Collins
I moved to The Medical Arts Centre in October 2008 and enjoy all aspects of family practice. I am passionate about teaching and using information technology to improve modern health care. I am the Family Practice Resident co-ordinator for the practice, I am a founding board member of the Nanaimo Family Practice Division and am a member of the Steering Committee for the BC governments’ Electronic Medical Record adoption program (PITO).
I enjoy spending time with my young family, woodworking, camping and being outdoors, I’m currently learning to play hockey!
Dr. A. Kaban
- Undergraduate Degree Bachelor of Science (Pharmacy) University of Manitoba 1975
- Pharmacist 1975 – 1978
- Doctor of Medicine Degree University of Calgary 1981
- Family Practice Residency Program Calgary General Hospital 1981 – 1983
- General Practice including Obstetrics and Emergency Grande Prairie, Alberta 1983-2003
- Locum Physician Nanaimo, B.C. Aug. 2003 – June 2006
- Family Physician at Medical Arts Centre, Nanaimo, from June 2006 to present with hospital privileges at Nanaimo Regional General Hospital
- Fellowship, College of Family Physicians of Canada since 2004
Dr. D. Kazanowski
Dr. J. Mander
Dr. I. Montgomery
Worked in rural Ontario, Interior British Columbia , Yellowknife, and Iqaluit NWT before settling in Nanaimo with Medical Arts Clinic 1991.
Dr. J. O'Farrell
Dr. R. Janse Van Rensburg
- Qualified as MD In South Africa in 1985(MBchB)
- Moved to Canada 1997 and currently hold LMCC and Canadian College of Family Physicians license (CCFP)
- Special interest in general family medicine and obstetrics
- Hobbies is camping, fishing and everything outdoors.
Dr. Shaun van Pel
Dr. H. Visser
Dr. Stuart Ockelford
My wife, 2 children, 2 dogs and I wanted adventure and the opportunity to live in a beautiful country with mountains and oceans. After discovering Nanaimo we moved ourselves here.
My passions include mountain biking and hiking. We have started kayaking and now we have bought a canoe and are truly settling to life on Vancouver Island.
Dr. Aaron Sobkowicz
Dr. Norman Parkin
Dr. Charlotte Breakey
Medical Arts is passionate about teaching and medical education, we have (currently) 6 residents at our clinic. These residents are fully qualified medical practitioners with an MD degree.
They spend 2 years doing advanced medical training with the preceptor physicians at the Medical Arts Centre to ensure they are ready for full independent practice. We have both first-year and second-year residents.
Dr. Aaron Long
Dr. Sidney Morrison
Dr. Chelsea Hart
Dr. Alexander Suleiman
Raised in Vancouver. Undergraduate training at Simon Fraser with BSc in Health Sciences.
I love the outdoors, playing soccer, volleyball, cycling and snowboarding. Other interests include singing, playing the guitar and technology. I am thrilled to complete my residency with the Medical Arts.